Friday, February 1, 2013

A Random Decision with Definite Purpose

A few years ago I my cousin, Jessica and I decided to donate our hair.  At that time we decided we would continue to donate our hair together when it grew back long enough to donate.  We thought this would be every couple years or so. 


I was very, very afraid to cut my hair!  My hair has never been short - ever.  But alas, I survived and my hair actually did grow back - just like I suspected it would.
Tania and cousin, Jessica, after the big cut - Feb., 2008

We weren't exactly able to donate together again that soon. And life being what it is, we now live half a country away from each other. Since the big cut nearly five years ago, Jessica has joined the Air Force, stationed out of Tuscon, AZ, and has served two tours in Afghanistan. 
Fast forward to 2013!
I decided it was time.  I was determined to get myself to Tuscon somehow so Jessica and I could donate together again.  She had just cut her hair!  Oh no! 
Then I decided to put out a call to everyone I know to donate their hair to people who need it more than we do.  I mean really, obviously I can grow my hair and do whatever I want to it.  I also know there are people out there who for whatever reason, do not have that luxury.  Why not give my hair to them?  It'll grow back. 
In the process of putting the call out to everyone I know to donate their hair, that included what I thought was the most unlikely of hair donating candidates - the other Farmer's Daughter.  I have never ever seen her in short hair.  In fact, I believe the shortest I had ever seen her hair was still below her shoulders. I NEVER thought she would go for it. 
To my surprise she said YES!
What?!  REALLY?!  Did I hear you right?
Turns out I did. 
So, one Saturday for various random reasons, we found ourselves on a west-central Minnesota road trip. 
Just your average Saturday random road trip....
Needless to say...in a few hours of driving we got to talking.  And BAM!  The decision was made.  We'll do it today!  AAAAAA!!!!! 
REALLY?!  TODAY?! 
What the heck, why not?! 
There's no time like the present. 
So our road trip made a stop at the mall, where our adventures of the day continued. 
We were scared, but we didn't let that stop us!
 
 
 
 
 
 Joslyn before...
just look at all that beautiful straight blonde hair!








 Both Farmers' Daughters before





Getting ready for the big cut!



Still smiling....no cutting yet. 
                        

There's always time for a text. 

AFTER!

I think she likes it!

 The Farmers' Daughters after!


Remnants of all the snipping!


I think Joslyn's before picture could be summed up in two words..."sheer panic!" 
 
Yay! We both love our new do's, but mostly we love that we donated our hair so that someone who has lost theirs can feel fabulous!! Almost everyone can say cancer has touched their lives in some way and we just wanted to pay it forward.  

We decided to donate ours to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, they donate the wigs they make, unlike other well known hair donation organizations.  You can read about the requirements at:

We know there are more of you out there who have long luscious locks that would be perfect candidates to donate!! We challenge you to donate!! Then come back and tell us about your experience and why you did it!! We would love to hear from you and see the before and after pictures!! 
 
Here it is!  Our beautiful tresses ready to be sent off.

Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 
~Romans 12:13

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.
~Matthew 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment