Sunday, January 20, 2013

Re-purpose a dresser into an entertainment center!!

I love this dresser! My mom and I bought it at a second hand shop for like $60???
I forget exactly how much, but nonetheless, it was very worth it!!
(Reminder: I have a non-focusing-corroded camera! UGH!!!) 

Have you ever seen a cuter dresser?!

As you can see I have a couple records and some dvds! I dont like all the clutter on top of the dresser
(the DVDs are not usually there, I was organizing!!) 

So I made this!!!!!
I said A-Boom-A-Chick-A-Boom!!! 

You too, could make any ho-hum dresser much cuter and functionabler!!! 
(We are DIY'ers, we are allowed to make up our own words!!)  

Here's how you go about it!! 

Find your dresser and take out the drawer of choice! I have a hard time throwing stuff away, maybe you could make a cute cabinet out of yours, but I brought mine to the dumpster! 

Take a good look at how your shelf will fit in there, each one will be different. 
My dresser didn't have a support in the middle, so I added a piece to the back to support the MDF.   Be sure to have your level handy before you tack yours in there. 


I used some small nails, as you see the main rail, where the drawer slid on, was extremely wore out. The reason why my support doesn't look level to the rail, is I decided the MDF would rest half way down the rail.  

Then you will want to measure the area where your MDF will go and then measure again! 
Cut with a skill saw or table saw.
(Sorry no picture! Its pretty hard to cut and photograph!!)

I gave mine a fit test! And glad I did because it needed shaved down a bit.

YESSSSS!!!! 

Next, you will need to cut a hole for any cords. I used a hole saw.  


EEEEEEE! Things are getting exciting at this point!!! 

If you are like me, this is a defining point....Do I paint or stain?! Hmmmm.....paint?.....stain?......hmmmm.....

My decisiveness skills stink!! Most of you would have had this thought out already!! 
In the end, I chose paint.
 Antique white. I love antique white, Im sooooo boring!! 




Carefully, paint the inside, or stain.  And paint your MDF shelf. 
I forgot the dang picture of the MDF, but here's what I did...I painted 2 coats, then sanded lightly and kind of roughed up the exposed edges with the sand paper. 
(MDF sands easily! I used 60 grit.)
I also took a little stain on a t-shirt and went over the edges and the surface just to dim the brightness and of course give it the aged or as I like to call it, the "previous experience" look!  

I used Minwax Paste Finshing Wax to finish the shelf. I love that stuff, it leaves an awesome dull sheen. And it helps to later be able to clean or dust.  Just apply and buff out. 

Want a neat trick for using the paste?!


Cheese Cloth!! You can pick up cheese cloth anywhere. Just get a good sized ball and apply through the cheese cloth! I forgot where I learned this, but it has saved me so much time and mess and distress! 

When everything dries, put your shelf in! Since the MDF is pretty heavy and you will have stuff on top, its unlikely you will need to screw or nail it down.  


There you have it! DVD Player and Record Storage! or AKA Repurposed Dresser to Entertainment Center!! Now go get em!! Good luck! 

-Joslyn-






2 comments:

  1. Very cool redo!
    Can't wait to start on my tv dresser this weekend, thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Kate! I have a few more furniture re-do's coming up!!

      Delete